The Kilmarnock Station Railway Heritage Trust was formed in 2014 to bring a number of redundant railway offices and rooms into community use.
The station at Kilmarnock dates from 1846 and the town is the home of Scotland’s railways, with the first railway in Scotland between Kilmarnock to Troon opening in 1812. The famous locomotive builders Andrew Barclay & Sons (now the Wabtec Rail Scotland) still operate nearby.
The station once contained six platforms of which only four are now in use. Platforms 1, 2 and 3 are accessed from the main building constructed in a quasi-Italian style and platform 4 from the less attractive underpass.
The main station building is broadly L-shaped and contains a number of rooms, both on the lower level and at platform level. These have remained unused for many years until a small group got together and decided to form a trust to bring the rooms back into community use.
During the summer of 2014, plans were finalised and funding achieved through the Scottish Stations Community Regeneration Fund and the Railway Heritage Trust. The fitting out of the rooms was funded through East Ayrshire Council’s Renewable Energy Fund and Wabtec Rail Scotland.
The official opening of the first phase of this project to bring the redundant part of the station back into full use was on Monday, August 31st, 2015, with a plaque commemorating the occasion unveiled by East Ayrshire Provost, Jim Todd.
The fully refurbished rooms offer office space, meeting rooms, a gift shop, book shop, coffee shop, a complementary therapy room and a records office for the Glasgow & South Western Railway Association.
The second phase of the project will see a multi-media facility, complementary therapies suite, washing and shower facilities for cyclists and a storage area for bikes established at the station.
Kilmarnock Station Railway Heritage Trust is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) no: SC045252, VAT Registration no. 204 4161 55.
The trustees are: J. Yellowlees, N. Turner, M. Goudie, A. Brown, Mrs K. Cassidy, Mrs A. Conlon, T. McInroy, S. Rankin, A. Smith and A. Vass.
A plaque commemorating the official opening of Phase 1 of the project to refurbish redundant spaces at Kilmarnock Railway Station for community use.
The Killie Browser before restoration
The Killie Browser now
Storm in a Teacup before restoration
Storm in a Teacup now